Hello my fellow R/Canuckians, I hope you’re all enjoying the meetup. I kind of wished I hopped on board, but the demands of the Farm kept me from being able to commit, maybe next time though!
Tonight however the farm are up against it as they desperately need points to stay alive in the Calder Playoff race. With Will Lockwood and Quinn Hughes seasons in the NCAA being done, I truly wonder if we’ll maybe get to see them in Utica. Lord know the Farm could use some young speedy talent on this squad.
As for tonight’s lineup looks like the only changes being made is Leighton in for Mazanec as starter, and Pyatt getting swapped to the first line with Kero and MacEwen; the Gaunce/Kero/Mac line just looked to have no chemistry besides being able to gain the zone, but their collective timing as a group was awful. I’m glad he’s keeping Darcy and Jasek together, but I actually wish MacEwen was on that right side…Darcy and Jasek have been playing great hockey the last 5/6 games but have lacked a finisher, wheras MacEwen had been without Kero (the first lines playmaker), so I’d kind of like to see a switch up around the top 6 to try generate some offense….otherwise if nothing changes, I’m just hoping the team can start to gel; they had SOME creative play setups last night but the firepower was seriously lacking. Maybe against this struggling Laval Rocket team they can start to put it together here. Fingers crossed!
RE: INJURY REPORT
|Out for the Season||undisclosed||hand||Out for the season||Undisclosed||Lower body injury||Undisclosed|
I have sources that indicate the McEneny injury isn’t looking too good which if true, will be devastating to this teams D-core…Even if Brisebois came back, that void is just not going to be filled…maybe if Quinn Hughes joined them it would be a remarkable improvement, but I doubt JB is going to have his top prospect chill in Utica when they themselves need some firepower on the blue line.
Streamable Clarity Improvement Notice
Continuing with last issues theme, going to be Players full name (jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) then every sub sequential play featuring that player it’ll be last name(jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) I’m also going to reduce the amount of hyperlink in the GOAL streamables, since that’s what I think MOST people are here for and don’t want some gaudy blue taking up the screen.
Comets in White
- Just gonna say it but the Laval Rocket have one of the sexiest jerseys in the AHL. It’s up there with the Utica green and white alternate.
- Not a whole lot of action early
- Zack MacEwen(#15) dangles through his feet for a backhand on Rocket tendy, Charlie Lindgren
- Comets line of Gadjovich/Gardiner/Arseneau doing a great job to hem the Rocket into their own end
- Lukas Jasek(#9) leads the zone entry and drops off for Jaime Sifers(#26) who’s shot goes wide to Cam Darcy(#11), he centers it for a trailing Jonah Gadjovich(#22) who has a quick hand off to Sifers for attempt #2 that catches Lindgren off guard
- GOAL – UTICA – 1-0 Comets: THE JINX IS OVER! After 9 games of being unable to score in the first period, Brendan Woods(#21) leads an odd man rush after a defensive zone start to set up Kole Lind(#13) for his 3rd of the year
- Jasek(#9) with a long cross ice feed to Brandon Anselmini(#7) who drives to the net then gets hit HARD in return…Vincent Arseneau(#18) shifts onto the ice and gets in two big retaliatory hits on Michael Pezetta
- Jasek(#9) with a great quick pass to Darcy(#11) who races to the Rockets end for a shot on Lindgren
- Cam Darcy somehow picks up a tripping minor after he gets tangled up with a Rocket defender on an offensive zone draw
- Darcy sums up the reaction to the call quite well
- 1st PK group: Chatfield, Sifers, Bancks, Woods
- Jalen Chatfield(#5) playing HARD with some big hits along the boards, then Carter Bancks(#34) comes up with a huge block
- 1st PK group: played a hard and physical 1:42 shift…brutal on them but they somehow survive as Michael Leighton makes a save in the breadbasket to allow for a change
- 2nd PK group: MacEwen, Graham, Saucerman, Kero
- MacEwen wins the draw and Saucerman clears the puck to end the period
Score at the end of the first period: 1-0 Comets
Really solid period from the boys, they successfully kill the bullk of the Darcy penalty, they outshoot Laval 9 to 7 and score off a great play from Brendan Woods. Darcy and Jasek continue to show great chemistry on the ice, hopefully they can find the back of the net together because they’ve been dominant in their shifts.
- Brendan Wood with two turnovers in the first minute of play of the 2nd
- Colton Saucerman(#39) with a great disrupt off a Woods(#21) giveaway
- Woods(#21) with his 3rd turnover in less than 2 minutes, this time Zack MacEwen(#15) shifts onto the ice and gets a desperation diving poke check to break up a one timer pass
- After the poke check, MacEwen(# 15)sets up Tom Pyatt(#20) for the zone entry, his shot rebounds out right onto Tanner Kero’s(#10) stick and somehow Lindgren makes the save
- Arseneau(#18) blocks the pass then sets up Anselmini(#7) on the opposite side, and his shot gets bodied down in front of Lindgren , really digging Anselmini’s shot, he been hitting each shot on target every time
- Chatfield(#5) loses the puck behind the Comets net to former Comet Alex Grenier who then sets up Lukas Vejdemo for a shot on goal but Leighton makes the shoulder save
- Kero(#10) takes a goaltender interference penalty after he crashes the net on a MacEwen(#15) centering pass, weirdly enough all the damage is clearly done by a Rocket defender not Kero, but nonetheless the Comets are off to the PK
- 1st PK group: Chatfield, Sifers, Bancks, Woods
- GOAL – LAVAL – 1-1 Tie: Lukas Vejdemo wins the faceoff draw back to Cale Fleury who wrists one through traffic past Leighton to tie the game at 1
- Brandon Anselmini gets tripped behind the Comets net and Jake Evans goes to the box for tripping; Comets off to their first powerplay of the night
- 1st Unit powerplay: Graham, Gardiner, MacEwen, Pyatt, Kero
- Reid Gardiner passes too far away for Graham and loses the zone, Pyatt then loses possession along the boards twice to kill the first groups powerplay try
- 2nd group: Saucerman, Jasek, Gaunce, Lind, Anselmini
- Lukas Jasek drives to the net, backhands it in but play is blown dead as soon as Lindgren touches it as Antoine Waked takes a holding penalty on Anselmini
- 1st group of MacEwen, Gaunce, Kero, Graham, Pyatt is out again
- I’m sorry but Pyatt shouldn’t be on the powerplay, he once again loses possession in the Rocket zone and the first unit has to regroup again
- Kero(#10) whiffs on an attempt to hold the blue line leading to a 2 on 1 where Joe Cox rips one on Leighton but he gloves it high in the air for the save
- Brendan Gaunce(#16) with a slick through the legs pass to Lind(#13) who tries to put it between the post and Lindgren’s pads, then Brendan Woods(#21) tries the same and a scrum ensues
- Bancks(#34) goes to clear the puck along the boards but it appears to ricochet out Morgan Adams-Moisan who rips a shot on Leighton who quickly gloves it down
- GOAL – UTICA – 2-1 Comets: The meathead line capitalizes! Some great battling along the boards from Jonah Gadjovich(#22) leads to the puck coming out to Colton Saucerman(#39) who fakes a shot, goes to Chatfield( #5)on the wall who then sets up Arseneau(#1 8)at the front of the net for the tap-in goal
The Score at the end of the 2nd period: 2-1 Comets
Damn solid period of hockey from the Comets in that one! Outshooting the Rocket 13 to 10, the Comets were pressuring hard, setting up a lot of plays from in tight on the net, relying way more on control entries as opposed to the dump-and-chase game that just doesn’t ever seem to work for them. Glad to see Chatfield get a point on that last play, he was all over the ice fishing the puck and got a great tap-in feed to Arseneau there to regain the lead.
- Tom Pyatt not on the bench to start the third; Don’t recall him taking a hard hit or blocking any shots…interesting
- Lind(#13) with a beauty of a takeaway in the Rocket’s end then a beauty saucer pass to Gaunce(#16 ) on his right side but Lindgren makes the save
- about 99% sure the Rocket just played the myfreecams donation noise prior to their 50/50 prize draw…not that I know what that is, or have heard it
- Zack MacEwen gets high-sticked pretty hard and the Comets are off to their 3rd powerplay of the night
- Without Pyatt on that first Unit it definitely opens the door for someone else to play that spot on the wall, who hopefully can control better
- First group: Gardiner, Graham, Kero, Darcy, MacEwen
- MacEwen tries 2 shots in close but the Rocket clears so group 2 comes out: Saucerman, Jasek, Lind, Anselmini, Gaunce
- GOAL – UTICA – 3-1 Comets: Wow, seconds after the powerplay ends, Jasek(#9) picks up a rebound off Leighton’s pads, rushes to center then gets a great feed on a speeding Woods(#21) who goes top shelf on a stunned Lindgren and the comets are up by 2. Great heads up pass from Jasek
- Gadjovich out on a line with Kero and MacEwen in the wake of Pyatts absence. And he aggressively forechecks to try and set up Kero but Kero misses the puck…too bad, great aggression from him on that one
- Daniel Audette takes his second penalty in a row this time interfering with Jesse Graham, so the Comets are on their 4th powerplay of the night
- 1st Group: Kero, Darcy, MacEwen, Graham, Gardiner
- Kind of wished they had Darcy behind the net, and MacEwen in the roaming spot in front of the net, Darcy’s passing while playing with Jasek has been quite solid
- Saucerman(#39) gives a shove to Michael Pezzetta from behind in the Rocket’s end and Pezzetta baits the tripping penalty
- Game is at a brief 4v4, before a minute or so of penalty killing
- GOAL – LAVAL – 3-2 Comets: Well I mean you can’t fault the team on this one, a weak penalty call on Saucerman, and an uncontrolled rebound by Leighton lets Alexandre Alain whack the puck in behind the net cutting the Comets lead to 1
- Arseneau with a few good looks in the Rocket zone, couple great centering feeds
- Darcy(#11) mishandles the puck leading to a HUGE scoring chance for Alex Grenier as the puck is sitting wide open in Leightons crease as he’s sprawled out on his stomach, Darcy with a good recovery there to plug up the crease and prevent any chances
- GOAL – LAVAL – 3-3 Tie: Damn tragic, Jasek(#9) makes a clutch block on a shot from the blue line but the pass goes behind the net where the Comets sit and watch as he sets up Alex Grenier for the one-timer. Seriously, 3 Comets sitting in the front of the net with no sticks on their checks
- GOAL – LAVAL – 4-3 Rocket: holy moly, the Rocket pressuring hard late as a beauty through-the-legs pass from Alex Grenier to Joe Cox who roofs it past Leighton’s glove side…2 goals in 34 seconds…
- The Comets sit back for just a few minutes and the lead is gone just like that…brutal result
- Leighton is pulled and its 6 on 5 with less than 2 minutes remaining
- After that game tying goal I cannot believe Cull didn’t call a time out to let the Comets get their senses back
- Darcy(#11) with a huge chance late after picking up a rebound off a Reid Gardiner(#14) shot
- GOAL – LAVAL – 5-3 Rocket: Off the ensuing play, Alexandre Alain plays give and go to Lukas Vejdemo who sinks the empty netter to secure the win for Laval as they rattle off 4 unanswered in the 3rd period to win it in regulation. Brutal.
Final Score: 5-3 Laval Rocket
|1st||Utica||Kole Lind||Brendan Woods||Matt Petgrave||5v5|
|2nd||Laval||Cale Fleury||Lukas Vejdemo||—||PPG|
|2nd||Utica||Vincent Arseneau||Jalen Chatfield||Colton Saucerman||5v5|
|3rd||Utica||Brendan Woods||Lukas Jasek||—||5v5|
|3rd||Laval||Alexandre Alain||Cale Fleury||Alexandre Grenier||PPG|
|3rd||Laval||Alexandre Grenier||Joe Cox||Cale Fleury||5v5|
|3rd||Laval||Joe Cox||Alexandre Grenier||Jake Evans||5v5|
|3rd||Laval||Lukas Vejdemo||Alexandre Alain||—||EN|
- What a disappointment…here I was about to be relieved to write something positive for a change… but nope, 4 straight unanswered goals on 12 shots in the third period, unacceptable that this team would be sitting back trying to protect their lead after that powerplay goal…unacceptable that the coach elected to not call a timeout after the tying goal less than 5 minutes later… Comets managed to outshoot Laval 34 to 30, but at the end of the game they just fucked it up defensively. Way too much sitting around and watching the Laval team pass the puck in their (Comets) end for my liking, ESPECIALLY considering they were trying to sit on a lead…how are you just standing idly by watching plays unfold…play the body, stick lift…literally anything other than nothing…
- I think the most disappointing thing about this game was, Tom Pyatt left the game and that opened the ice for Jasek, Lind and Gadjovich to get more ice time, and they were thriving with it, (Gadjovich and Lind ended the night with a +/- of 1, and Lukas broke even at 0). I’m beginning to think Pyatt is pretty ineffective in his role with this team…stick him on the fourth line and just leave Gadjovich with Kero and MacEwen on the first line…we know what we have in Pyatt and it isn’t anything game changing, Gadjovich is skating hard, finishing checks, fighting hard on every offensive drive, ending 99% of his shifts in the offensive zone after starting in the dzone or at neutral…get Pyatt out of that top line spot and lets start seeing what the young kids can do. Clearly this team isn’t capable of going on a run for the Calder with this lineup. Even with Woods, Jasek, Darcy, Lind, Arseneau and Gadjovich playing great hockey, they still can’t get it done if Tanner Kero is playing his worst hockey or with a d-core that is plucked straight out of the ECHL.
Comets Three Stars
- Vincent Arseneau
- Jonah Gadjovich
- Lukas Jasek
HM: Kole Lind, for breaking his drought and the Comets first period no-scoring jinx…and HM to Brendan Woods who wasn’t useless tonight but actually playing to probably what he should be providing on a nightly basis.
Well, like Vegas vs Vancouver, this game probably just killed the Comets hopes of securing a Calder spot…4 straight losses in the most pivotal games of the season….McEneny doesn’t look to be coming back, Gaudette, Sautner and Schenn weren’t papered so they’re gone, Quinn Hughes is going to Vancouver if he even decides to turn pro…MAYBE this team gets Will Lockwood? But that’s quite unlikely, the kid has 1 year left of University, so he might as well finish his schooling to prep himself for life after hockey. But yeah…this was a rough one…they had the game in the palm of their hands and blew it.
It doesn’t get any easier either, as the next game for the Comets is this upcoming Wednesday when they face off against the North Divisions second best team the Rochester Americans. The Comets LAST beat the Americans on February 9th at home when the team had, Sautner, Schenn, Gaudette, Dahlen and McEneny in the lineup…without those great core players, in their other two games against the Amurks in February, the Comets got outshot 68 to 50, and outscored 7 to 4….I’m not saying its hopeless…but if tonight’s 4 unanswered against the 7th place in the North Laval Rocket is any indicator…it wont be good for the boys on the Farm….that is unless…they commit to just blowing up the lines in the wake of all the call-ups and injuries and start overloading their top 6 with the young-guns and try to kick shit into gear.
Until that gear is found though, I Hope you guys enjoyed this edition of the Farmies, I’ll see you all back here on Wednseady and as always any feedback, improvement suggestions, content or highlights you’d like me to focus/pick out during games, let me know and I’ll do my best to provide during the next Farmies!