Good afternoon Canucks fans! We’re t-minus 2 days to the trade deadline and I know we’re itching for something newsworthy from the GMJB regime, but until that happens, lets settle in for some Saturday afternoon hockey as our Utica Comets visit the Binghamton Devils in an attempt to extend their point streak to 9 games with an absolutely decimated roster!
Yes, somehow the roster got depleted even further after last night’s game, as Tanner Kero picked up an injury late in the third period, putting him out of action for today’s game.
That means our farm will now be without Dahlen, Gadjovich, Gaudette, Kero, Lind, MacEwen, Sautner, Schenn and Woods. That’s effectively every point producer out of the lineup either with illness or up with the Canucks.
I’d be worried, but this decimated roster actually put up an incredibly competitive fight against the divisions top team last night…with 3 goals rattled off at 5v5, certainly the Comets can at least take solace knowing it took the divisions top team being given a man advantage 3 times to be able to get on the scoreboard…they should also kick themselves for punishing themselves with awful penalties taken, but still…lot of good from that bad last night.
One of the big “goods” from last night was the strong performance from Lukas Jasek who, despite not finding the scoresheet, was dominant along the boards and created numerous chances with his line of non-scorers Carter Bancks and Wacey Hamilton. Certainly I hope the guy is able to find the scoresheet tonight and can maybe earn a look with the big club as they struggle to find a player to match Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser’s compete level and their offensive game. Certainly Lukas Jasek could be worth a look with his impressive hustle, speed and aggressive board work against much stronger/bigger competition. Obviously I’m not saying he’s some surefire bonafide NHL forward, but there are aspects of what Jasek brings to the table that match what Nikolay Goldobin brought to the table, including all the defensive and compete aspects that Travis Green and co. so desperately want from the struggling Russian winger.
With all that being said, let’s take a look at today’s shambles of a lineup and todays game!
RE: INJURY REPORT
|Out for the Season||hand||Ill||Upper body injury||lower body injury||Out for the season||Ill||Ill|
Might be the first time there’s no registered players healthy scratched… Woods also was on IR yesterday not a veteran cap
Streamable Clarity Improvement Notice
Continuing with last issues theme, going to be Players full name (jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) then every sub sequential play featuring that player it’ll be last name(jersey number) – place in streamable (if not outright obvious) I’m also going to reduce the amount of hyperlink in the GOAL streamables, since that’s what I think MOST people are here for and don’t want some gaudy blue taking up the screen.
Comets in White
- never forget, fuck the Devils, and fuck Eric Tangradi
- I think Green would cream himself if he saw Goldobin catch a puck dump it in safely and then chase the puck along the boards like Lukas Jasek(#9) does here
- Wacey Hamilton(#36) gains the zone and passes along to Jasek(#9) who casually and easily protects the puck along the boards from the much larger Eric Tangradi
- Reid Boucher(#24) gains the zone but has the puck knocked off his stick on to a tied up Cam Darcy’s(#11), a trailing Jasek(#9) picks up the loose puck for a shot top shelf but it gets blockered high and wide at the last second by Devils netminder Cam Johnsson
- 10 minutes in and there haven’t been many shots for either side
- Michael Leighton goes full Richard Bachman but fortunately his team clogs the lane to deny what could’ve been an awful goal against
- Boucher(#24) leads the zone entry then goes cross ice to Guillaume Brisebois(#55) who steps into the rush and has his shot gloved down by Johnsson
- Glad to see that one game suspension did something to curb Eric Tangradi’s dirty play…watch Reid Gardiner(#14) on the bottom of this gif pick up the puck along the boards, then watch as Eric Tangradi goes to check him but as he does look at his elbow…he’s fucking leading with it, he turns his whole body to go elbow first into Gardiner…exact same thing he did to Sautner, turn and drive elbow first into his check get this doofus out of the league
- hectic play in the final 3 minutes, but the Comets once again getting outshot heavily and struggling to complete a pass
- Wacey Hamilton takes a dumb slashing penalty, putting the Comets on the PK for the remainder of the period
- a late chance from the Devils on the powerplay, as a deflected puck ends up in open ice by the net but Jaime Sifers(#26) is there for the clutch clear
Score at the end of the first period: 0-0 Tie
I mean, it wasn’t a complete blowout…it felt like it…but the score remains 0-0 despite the Comets being outshot 11 to 6…the Comets appear to be struggling hard with the massive line shakeups due to the illness bug. Again another strong period from Jasek, as well as a fairly strong period from Boucher…Some of the other Comets are looking pretty sluggish; particularly Gaunce and Arseneau, both aren’t really renowned for their speed, but the pace of their game has me wondering if they too are playing while sick. Fingers crossed for another batshit crazy second period.
- Comets starting the period on the PK – and they kill it
- reasons why I think Gaunce is playing sick…speed not there, horrible drop pass to no one end of gif you can see Jesse Graham(#64) slash a Binghamton player so the Comets return to the PK
- GOAL – BINGHAMTON – 1-0 Devils: so much for my call yesterday that taking bad penalties wont matter against the division worst powerplay team…an uncontrolled rebound off Leighton’s pad leads to an easy tap in goal for Nick Lappin
- GOAL – UTICA – 1-1 Tie: Great response once again at 5v5 from the Comets as a clearing attempt from the Devils gets picked up by Sifers(#26) on the blue line, and his shot gets tipped by Kalamazoo Wing call-up Kyle Thomas(#28) for the tying goal and his first AHL goal of the season!
- Jasek(#9) controls the puck on an entry and goes to Boucher(#24) who then plays give and go with Colton Saucerman(# 39) who steps up into the rush play, but his shot is blocked, nice job by the Sauce to draw the Binghamton player to him to open up Boucher as best he can
- Nick Saracino takes a tripping penalty and the Comets are on their first powerplay of the night
- 1st PP unit: Darcy, Gaunce, Boucher, Brisebois, Jasek
- 1st powerplay unit cycles, but then loses possession after a Gaunce pass along the boards hits an officials skates allowing the Devils to clear
- 2nd Unit PP: McEneny, Gardiner, Arseneau, Graham, Pyatt
- Jalen Chatfield did not come out for the second period apparently, so the Comets have slid Jesse Graham back onto defense…holy moly the injury train never stops
- 3rd Unit PP: don’t see a third group that often but here we are, Thomas, Bancks, Hamilton, Graham, McEneny
- Thomas(#28) with a one timer on net off a pass from Evan McEneny(#2)
- Seconds after the powerplay ends, the Devils Yakovlev takes a tripping penalty and its back to the powerplay for Utica
- a saucer pass attempt by Jasek(#9) to Darcy(#11) gets blocked and as Brisebois(#55) steps into to recover at the blue line, Ryan Schmelzer gets sprung on a breakaway, a speedy backcheck from Boucher(#24) prevents the scoring opportunity
- McEneny(#2 )with two shots from the blue line right on goal
- LOL literally as the Binghamton penalty ends, Eric “nice guy” Tangradi gets called for interference and the Devils are on back to back penalty kill duty
- A nice change up on the 1st unit powerplay as Boucher(#24) goes slap pass to Jasek(#9) for the one timer on net
- Comets 0 for 3 on the powerplay this period…can’t say I’m shocked though given the roster haha
- Gardiner(#14) gets dinged for high sticking
- GOAL – BINGHAMTON – 2-1 Devils: the Devils pressure with the delayed penalty and a shot from John Ramage gets tipped in front by Nick Lappin who gets his second of the night
- That’s two penalties in two games from Gardiner which directly lead to goals against that were the difference maker…not a good look but fortunately for him there’s isn’t really anybody to replace him if these injuries/illnesses extend
- Vincent Arseneau(#18) with a good check for the takeaway and pass to Gaunce(#16 )on the breakaway but Gaunce’s shot is weak and easily blocked … Gaunce HAS to be sick
- and Brisebois is off to the box for tripping…Comets back to the penalty kill for the 4th time tonight – Comets kill it however – Saucerman got some PK time over Sifers so I’m glad Cull is recognizing his strong work ethic…he even blocked a shot attempt too on the PK that deflected wide.
- Graham(#64) takes a tripping penalty after the first stoppage in play after Brisebois’ penalty ended and the Comets return to the PK … this team gonna be completely fucking gassed for the third
- Gaunce(#16 )and Carter Bancks(#34) almost tie it up at the buzzer while shorthanded
The Score at the end of the 2nd period: 2-1 Devils
A closer period, Comets outshot the Devils 13 to 12…but 0 for 3 on the powerplay against the worst team in the Division isn’t a great look, decimated roster or not, their passing games tonight have just been awful…really have to wonder how many guys are sick but played anyway…*cough cough* Gaunce. Devils are apparently undefeated when leading after the second period…but being last in the North Division, I can’t imagine that means too much . Comets did have some clutch chances, they just need to capitalize…hopefully they square up on the discipline and try to win this one at evens.
- Comets kill the penalty with aggressive forechecking in the Devils zone
- 5 minutes into the period and the Comets hemmed into their own zone, 5 strong chances for the Devils before the Comets can even clear
- Nearly 8 minutes down and I don’t think the Comets have had a shot on goal this period
- Comets finally get some sustained pressure, and Sifers(#26) takes an interference penalty after shoving down his check Nathan Bastian …5th PK tonight for Utica
- Comets kill the penalty and as Sifers comes out of the box, McEneny gets blatantly interfered with but no call is made…convenient
- Comets pressured once more, and McEneny(#2) goes for the clear but it redirects of the Stanchion and leads to a huge scoring chance for Binghamton
- Nearly 12 minutes down and the Comets have been outshot 12 to 2 this period… that’s definitely not how you win games
- Reid Boucher gets a huge breakaway chance but Nikita Popugaev hooks him to prevent him driving to the net…minor penalty gets called and the Comets are on the powerplay with not much time remaining
- jesus Christ…Darcy(#11) gets a fantastic cross ice pass from the right wall to Jasek(#9) but he takes a lifetime to settle it for a shot that gets stopped by Johnsson then Gaunce(#16) takes a tripping penalty to end the powerplay after 26 seconds
- 4v4 ends and Utica is shorthanded for a brief period and then apparently Cam Darcy gets called for slashing with 3:22 remaining…that’s probably it for this one
- GOAL – BINGHAMTON – 3-1 Devils: Gaunce leaves the box, and on the 5v4, Leighton stops a Nick Lappin tip but it trickles past him where he taps it in for the hatty
- GOAL – BINGHAMTON – 4-1 Devils: Comets pull the goalie but Brisebois(#55) loses possession on the blue line and Nathan Bastian puts it in the empty net to make it 4-1…the point streak is over folks
- Comets outshot this third period 20 to 4….that is not a typo… 20 to 4….
Final Score: 4-1 Binghamton Devils
|2nd||Binghamton||Nick Lappin||Blake Pietila||Ryan Murphy||PPG|
|2nd||Utica||Kyle Thomas||Vincent Arseneau||Jaime Sifers||5v5|
|2nd||Binghamton||Nick Lappin||John Ramage||John Quenneville||5v5|
|3rd||Binghamton||Nick Lappin||Ryan Murphy||Blake Pietila||5v5|
- That was brutal to watch…please young guns get healthy because this was awful hockey to watch. Outshot 43 to 23 by the worst team in the Division is pretty pathetic no matter how you put it…I hope this opens the coaches eyes at how much ice time we’re wasting on guys like Hamilton, Bancks and Darcy , veteran leadership is good no doubt, but If your veteran leadership is spending their ice time sitting in the box for stupid shit like interference and tripping then what’s the point of playing them if they’re constantly putting the team at a disadvantage…granted, tonight we were missing the bulk of our young core and the players who actually generate offense, but holy moly this is the worst team in the North Division…you took Rochester to overtime…what is this effort?
- If Gaunce isn’t sick then oh boy that was by far his worst game I think I’ve ever seen of him, NHL or AHL…passes to nowhere, awful penalty at the worst time, slow on the forecheck and backcheck…something HAS to have been up.
- Pretty bad games from Gardiner, Graham and Brisebois as well.. I’ll chalk it up to Graham starting as a winger, then switching back to D after Chatfield went down with injury…but man all three were turnover machines tonight…constant breakaways or loss-of-possession whenever these guys were holding the blue line or stepping up into the play. Gardiner also with another awful penalty that basically spelled disaster for the team heading into the third period.
- Not much really else to chime in with…this was basically an ECHL team playing against an AHL team and while they hung in there for the second…the horrible penalties being taken cost them huge; Absolutely exhausting for your players to spend 14 minutes of the game shorthanded.
- please young guns take vitamins and recover… I don’t know if I can commit to covering this kind of hockey more than twice
Comets Three Stars
- Michael Leighton for keeping them in it until that 3rd period when the team decided to just disconnect their controllers collectively
- Reid Boucher for being unselfish (maybe for once, to a fault) and setting up plays cross ice with Jasek for their powerplay time together, he showed great speed on that one breakaway backcheck too which you don’t really see too often.
- Lukas Jasek – work on your shot my dude and you’ll get some attention from the big club…you’re like on the cusp, just need that shot up to par
Well the point streak died tonight, and it died in horrific fashion, but they still have a chance to end the month with a solid winning record as they face off again against the Rochester Americans (hopefully with a full and healthy lineup). Unfortunately the Toronto Marlies beat the Syracuse Crunch tonight which means the Comets drop down to 4th in the North Division standings, while elsewhere, the Belleville Senators beat the Rochester Americans to quietly put themselves just one point behind the Comets for 5th place overall in the North….the playoff race is heating up now as the games in hand start evening out for the top two teams in the division, so the Comets injury and illness woes couldn’t have possibly come at a worse time…and with a bulk of the teams difference makers playing up with the Vancouver Canucks, this team could find itself out of a playoff spot real soon if they can’t shore up on their discipline, as it has crippled them two games straight now and likely prevented them from earning more points.
Course, I just completely jinxes it so I will see you all tomorrow for a recap of the Comets inevitable 9-0 loss to the Devils!
Hey I was close in my jinx! Until Wednesday though folks, I Hope you guys enjoyed this edition of the Farmies, and as always any feedback, improvement suggestions, content or highlights you’d like me to focus/pick out during games, let me know and I’ll do my best to provide during the next Farmies!